Sunday, August 06, 2006


Sunday, August 6, 2006

Cookouts, family, friends, celebrations, and just plain fun is what summer weekends were made for. We made it through Arts camp week at church and then had a fun filled weekend. Pappy Lee and Mary visited Saturday afternoon along with Damion, Kara, and baby Aiden. It was great to get to hold my nephew and remember how little babies are when they are so young. Ella wasn't as fond of me holding a baby but there were enough people around to help with holding her. It didn't stop her crying but I am sure it probably was a little easier. Neither of my children showed a great interest in cousin Aiden but talked a lot about him before and after his visit. Later we headed out to our friend's 40th birthday celebration. The party was huge and the kids had a blast. Mike and I were just plain worn out afterwards. It was a full time job keeping up with both kids around a pool, outdoors with rocks and steps and patio torches lit. I believe I walked up and down steps more than when I lived on the 12th floor of my freshman dorm and I believe Ella weighs more than my backpack ever did. There was a Jimmy Buffet theme to the party and we were asked to wear tropical gear so as you can see in the picture we definitely fit the description. Thanks to Chuck and Caroline for letting us borrow their purchases from Hawaii and also for the outfits that they bought for the kids last year on their visit. Everyone thought we were a hit and even suggested it for our Christmas picture. I would do that except I am sure the kids will change a lot before then so I am going on and posting it here.

Tonight Landon and Ella had a babysitter - can you believe it - yes a babysitter. This is only the 3rd time we have left them with anyone other than family (yes, I am counting) and it went amazingly well. Landon was quite the showoff and didn't even want to eat dinner just so he could play some more. There wasn't the first bit of crying when we left and she even put Ella to bed without a hard time. It was a great success and Landon is hoping she will come back soon and I am just relieved to find someone else that the kids both enjoy.

Mike is very happy to have the basement done and has enjoyed naps on the couch, racing on the big screen and falling asleep at night in the cool air. I have sent both kids down there on many occassions just to make sure Mike isn't bored in all the quietness or at least not lonely in a big room without little people running laps in it. Mike has also perfected his "talk to the van" voice and has successfully shared commands with the navigation and audio system. However, Landon has picked up on this and everytime he sees or rides in the van he says in his most robotic sounding voice "go home" and I think he may still be awaiting a reply.

1 comment:

The Turmanators said...

Sounds like a great weekend, and eerily similar to ours in that we went to a 40th b.day party too. I love the tropical shirt photo!

I'm not going to tell Tracy about your basement...he'll be on your doorstep, suitcase in hand.