Sunday, January 19, 2014

We have Emery!

Emery and I are sitting in our hotel room. It has been a crazy day but amazing. Our flight went well, and we met our new guide in Xi'an after getting our bags. Another huge city of 9 million people so the traffic was bad as well as the air. We stopped quickly at the hotel and brought our bags in but were then off to meet our sweet children.

After a 30 minute drive we were there and getting off the bus. Between the hurried check in and currency exchange, then a crazy ride there, I was shaking as we entered the elevator to go to the 20th floor. Taking a deep breath as the elevator doors open, we were greeted by a man holding our daughter. They were the only two there. Everyone else had to go to a room, but we were surprised to say the least. I gasped as I saw her sweet face. She clutched to this man whom I believe was the orphanage director. She wouldn't look at me but buried her face in his shoulder. I was overcome with emotions and also not knowing what to say or do. Then he motioned us to come to the room where everyone was meeting their children. There he handed her to me.   She was so sad but seemed to calm down fairly quick. However, anytime a nanny or the director came over, she would quickly get upset again. How strange it must have been for everyone in this room. I imagine it was just as hard for them to say goodbye to someone who they have loved so much. Our guide was helping translate questions for families. The whole thing was chaotic and special at the same time. I held on to her so tight and prayed that God would ease her pain and sadness.


We then boarded the bus for a trip back to the hotel. Before taking off, Mike and a few other parents made a quick trek to the store to buy items that we needed but didn't have. We had found out from the nanny that Emery had a bottle two or three times a day, so Mike picked up formula, rice cereal, and another sippy cup. By the time we made it back to the hotel, it was after 6pm. There was paperwork to do, and we needed to think about some kind of dinner and bottled water. Mike handled it all while I stayed with Emery in our room and played with her.

By the time Mike returned, she was smiling and giggling and happy. Thank you God for her smiles! Dinner was KFC for us. Can you believe it, KFC really? We were hoping for rice but no such luck. Emery had rice chex and a bottle. We gave her a French fry, but after a taste, she gave it back. It's probably best though as we don't want to overwhelm her system since she doesn't eat that type of food normally.
 
 
We could tell Emery was tired. Between being 9pm (they said she normally goes to bed around 7:30pm), the crazy day that she experienced, and not napping due to car sickness during the ride from the orphanage ,she was ready for bed. The hotel placed a crib in our room, and we moved it right beside the bed. I laid her down and after looking at me for a minute, she turned the other way and was asleep in about 3 minutes without a peep. Mike and I have enjoyed staring at her and thinking about how great God is and His constant presence during this trip.



Thank you all for your prayers, and please pray that she sleeps well for the rest of the night and that with all of the meetings and chaos tomorrow, that we all Lean on Him for our strength and patience. Pray that Emery remains happy and healthy through this transition.

Now on to sleep for us all.  I can't believe she is sleeping right next to me - thank you Lord!

5 comments:

Welcome said...

Oh Joy of Joys!!! Congratulations, she looks so sweet and peaceful sleeping :)

We are praying for your bonding, sleep, health and travels.

Much love,
Amanda, Gray, Will & Ellie

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord !! What a beautiful site to see your girl in your arms. This has added so much to our day---Camille was baptized today and Emery meets her mommy and daddy!!!! What a day!!!!!!!
The Davis"

Anonymous said...

Wow, reading this brings back so many memories for me. I am so excited for you all, and you are in our prayers!! Cant wait to meet her.

Anonymous said...

Our family has so enjoyed looking at these photos today! We continue to pray for you guys and the crew back here at home. ---The Harrises

Anonymous said...

We love the pictures, the boys are dying to meet her!! Much love, Damion, Kara, Aiden and Abram