Tuesday morning almost 7am. Thank you for your prayers yesterday. Our trip back to the same place we met Emmy went well. She didn't fuss and didn't get car sick. She saw the orphanage director and didn't make a single peep. It seemed to be a lot busier than we expected, so by the time we made it back to the hotel, we only had 45 minutes or so until we turned right back around to go to another appointment. Emmy slept on the bus on the way to the hotel so that was a little nap.
During that little stretch, Mike went to get food for lunch. We were told that the Chinese restaurant next door spoke English so that was the best choice with KFC's line out the door. The manager came to help Mike order, but it took forever for the order to come out, so we met him on the bus. It was very frustrating since he only wanted white rice and some chicken and vegetables. What he got was a "bucket" of fried rice and a huge order of chicken that was small pieces, but they all had bones in them. The vegetables were green beans, onions, and whole garlic cloves. I bet there were 100 garlic cloves in that one order. Emmy loved the rice, and another little girl, Grace, loved it too. You should have seen me feeding her fried rice on a moving bus with chopsticks. Luckily none of us were hurt. : )
At our first stop in the afternoon, we picked up our certificates which made us the legal parents to Emery Ya ya! What an amazing gift!
On the way back to the hotel she fell asleep again. It would be great if everyone could fall asleep because this traffic is so overwhelming. There are so many different things going on between buses, cars, motor bikes, bikes with flatbeds, bikes carrying huge loads of boxes, pedestrians, scooters with 2 adults and babies on them; unbelievable. There are even people on scooters carrying things that look like curtain rods while driving through a crowd!!! The lines on the road don't mean anything, and each side of the road can have traffic going both ways a lot of the time. Amazingly, we have only seen 2 small fender benders!
She had a bath last night ,and it was so sweet to see her enjoying the water in a very shy way. I would pour water from a bottle, and she would put her finger or toe under it gently to feel it pouring out. She would also make very gentle splashes with her hands. I was happy that the splashes were not that big because I am still super nervous about any of us getting tap water in our mouths. We have antibiotics in case we do, but I would prefer none of us having to take them. It is such a strange way for us as we are so used to the water in our houses being safe! I am sure I will appreciate that more when we get home!
After bath time, we had ordered room service. It never showed up so after a bit Mike was asleep and then Emmy and I fell asleep. I think it was our best nights sleep thus far!
Our prayer requests for today: This is a "free" day, so we don't have any meetings but also no guide. Pray that we safely navigate the city if we choose to go out. Please pray for Emmy to open up to Mike while we are hanging out in the room as well as praying for her adjustment once we get home. I know it will be overwhelming to her in the beginning, so please pray for her to quickly open up to her brothers and sister. Due to her sleeping late yesterday and the time difference, Landon, Ella, and Eli have yet to Skype with Emmy. We are anxiously waiting to do that when she wakes up this morning.
Thank you all!
On the way back to the hotel she fell asleep again. It would be great if everyone could fall asleep because this traffic is so overwhelming. There are so many different things going on between buses, cars, motor bikes, bikes with flatbeds, bikes carrying huge loads of boxes, pedestrians, scooters with 2 adults and babies on them; unbelievable. There are even people on scooters carrying things that look like curtain rods while driving through a crowd!!! The lines on the road don't mean anything, and each side of the road can have traffic going both ways a lot of the time. Amazingly, we have only seen 2 small fender benders!
Once back at the hotel, Emmy woke up. She hasn't cried since the moment we left the building that first day!!! Yesterday morning I had to wake her up at 8:30am so we could make it to our first appointment. She sucks her thumb in her sleep but never during the day. When we lay her down in the crib, she just lays there quietly until she falls asleep. It's amazing to me, and I am waiting for a big meltdown, but just maybe it won't happen.
Thankfully she has let both of us hold her without protest and will smile at both of us when we play with her. Last night is the first time where she is starting to show attachment more to one. We knew this would most likely happen, but it's hard to experience.
Thankfully she has let both of us hold her without protest and will smile at both of us when we play with her. Last night is the first time where she is starting to show attachment more to one. We knew this would most likely happen, but it's hard to experience.
She had a bath last night ,and it was so sweet to see her enjoying the water in a very shy way. I would pour water from a bottle, and she would put her finger or toe under it gently to feel it pouring out. She would also make very gentle splashes with her hands. I was happy that the splashes were not that big because I am still super nervous about any of us getting tap water in our mouths. We have antibiotics in case we do, but I would prefer none of us having to take them. It is such a strange way for us as we are so used to the water in our houses being safe! I am sure I will appreciate that more when we get home!
After bath time, we had ordered room service. It never showed up so after a bit Mike was asleep and then Emmy and I fell asleep. I think it was our best nights sleep thus far!
Our prayer requests for today: This is a "free" day, so we don't have any meetings but also no guide. Pray that we safely navigate the city if we choose to go out. Please pray for Emmy to open up to Mike while we are hanging out in the room as well as praying for her adjustment once we get home. I know it will be overwhelming to her in the beginning, so please pray for her to quickly open up to her brothers and sister. Due to her sleeping late yesterday and the time difference, Landon, Ella, and Eli have yet to Skype with Emmy. We are anxiously waiting to do that when she wakes up this morning.
Thank you all!

5 comments:
Our prayers are with you on this joyous adventure! What a beautiful little girl!!!
Elizabeth Douglass, Jacob and Jack-Elden
I heard Mike Hall of Casting Crowns speak about how much quicker their Chinese daughter adjusted to his wife. They had told him to expect it BUT it still bothered him. Will be praying the adjustments come quickly. She is beautiful. Can't want to meet her.
Beth Mizelle
Oops Mark Hall of Casting Crowns.
Emmy is so cute! We can't wait to meet her. Sending good thoughts & prayers your way as your journey continues!
Cathy Lee
She is beautiful Brooke! Can't wait to meet her in person!!! So so very happy for you guys. Will be praying for you as I know you are anxious to get home. Wanted to tell you, don't stress too much about the tap water. True, you don't want to drink it, but all my kids bathed in it and swallowed some from time to time during their baths, and I would say it's almost certainly what she's been bathing in previously. So, just don't over stress about it. On a totally different subject, if you buy some fruit at a fruit stand, and you're feeling adventurous, eat some "longyan" for me. :) They are my FAVORITE fruit and I miss them. :) They have a hard pit in the middle so watch out for that. Let me know if there's anything you're trying to communicate to Ya Ya that she can't understand and you could use a few helpful Chinese phrases. I'd be happy to help.
Post a Comment