Tuesday, April 21, 2009


Tuesday, April 21, 2009

So can you believe it? Ella doesn't carry her blanket anywhere and tonight she went to bed without "squishy lovey" and just had "soft lovey". She didn't really want that but decided last minute she would go get one of the two and after they went to bed I noticed that she got "soft lovey" instead of "squishy". I think Mike and I thought that this would never be a possibility and that she may be carrying her "squishy lovey" down the aisle one day. Of course with the lack of lovey she doesn't suck her thumb as much either so it is a double bonus. Like several other events (Landon giving up his pacifier, Ella moving to a big girl bed, and sharing a room with Landon) it has gone much smoother and easier than we ever imagined. I think we spend more time dreading the transition than it actually takes for it to happen. Ella's teacher at preschool even commented to me the other day that Ella was doing much better since she stopped bringing her blanket to school. I am enjoying not having to make sure it is with her in the van and when we leave a location. The pictures are only 2 of so many we have of Ella with lovey. One is early on when she was about 3 months old the next is when she was not quite 3.

With all of this said, Eli is so very attached to his blanket now. He asks for it if it isn't around and hugs it all the time. HIs blanket is even bigger and heavier than Ella's and since he has been under the weather twice within the last month we have felt like we needed to keep it close. So we get rid of one and add another. I am going to try to keep from getting to the point of taking it everywhere like we did Ella's. However, it may have helped today when he was in the nursery and they couldn't get him to calm down after 15 minutes so I had to go and get him. He was happy as soon as I picked him up but I wonder if he would have calmed down with his blanket.

So, on to the next blanket story. After we prayed and were saying goodnight tonight Landon noticed that his two Thomas blankets were not in the proper order. The picture on each one is identical but the fabric is different. I had put the wrong one down first and then the second one the picture was turned upside down. He insisted that they be the right way and since I still had to lay Eli down I insisted that he turn them the way he wanted. This of course took about 10 minutes and he couldn't understand when I tried to explain to him that they aren't going to feel different since there is a sheet below them and that the picture turned the wrong way shouldn't matter at all when it is dark and you can't see them. Still didn't work. I have now asked him to stop trying to rationalize to Ella that it doesn't matter if she is first to get in the van or not because what is important to them clearly doesn't have to make sense. The picture was taken a couple of years ago but I didn't want to risk waking anyone taking a picture tonight.

Maybe I need to keep all of this in mind when I am figuring out what is important to me!

Lastly, a funny Ella saying for today - she had her construction paper with her drawing rolled up like a scroll. (she does this very often) She told me on her way to bed "this is my corrections to show you how to get to a fun place tomorrow". I think she meant directions but I wasn't about to start that dicussion at bedtime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your Blog. I tell Caroline all the time. I am SOOO glad your life lends itself to more frequent post. Since my kids are all grown up, I smile remember the STRESS of things that now don't seem so important. Hope to see y'all again soon.
Beth Mizelle