Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday, September 10, 2007

I posted last week on Landon's birthday. However, it had been a while since I had posted prior to that date. We have been busy and overwhelmed. On the fun front, Ella is now sleeping in Landon's room or shall we call it "their" room. It has gone so much better than I had anticipated. Ella sleeps on the trundle beside big brother and although he was sad after the first couple of nights because she talked she has limited that tremendously. She loves sleeping in there and I only have to threaten to send her back to the crib to get her to behave. Landon and Ella also started preschool 3 days a week. I wasn't sure about sending Ella that much as I hadn't sent Landon 3 days until this year but it is working out well. Ella likes to carry her backpack but would much rather play in brother's classroom as he has a kitchen area where she can make food for everyone. They both enjoy music time and circle time. I missed the first morning they went, but there are some cute pictures of both grandmothers trying to get Ella's hair fixed. Now they understand why I wait until Ella is strapped into the carseat before attempting to even brush her hair. The kids have also started a new game of playing night night where they ask Mike or I to go night night and they bring every toy within a 30 foot radius to us to hold as we pretend to go to sleep. This was one game Mike was happy to play while feeling under the weather. They would bring him everything and then they would take it all back and start over again. After a couple of times we will switch places and see how many toys I can hold. Ella is also fascinated with shoes and feeding people. She comes into a room several times a day in someone elses shoes and wears them around until she can find a better pair. Landon will often join in and we find shoes in the strangest places. Ella's deal with feeding people is she likes to either play like she is giving you food or to go outside and collect leaves and pine needles to bring to you as various types of food. I think she enjoys playing this with Pops more than anyone. We eat lots of chicken, rice, french fries, brocolli, and ice cream (all being nice brown crunchy leaves or imaginary food that we have to chew up dramatically.

On the sad front, my grandmother passed away. She had been in hospice for only about 2 weeks and they thought she would make it many more or even in the months. I am certainly thankful that she is no longer trapped in a body that didn't work and a mind that had suffered the vengence of alzheimer's for many years. Unfortunately they were unable to bury her at the time of her funeral as she is to be buried in Arlington Cemetery with her husband. Luckily, I am still able to travel and will be heading that way for her burial later this week. She was an amazing woman who was the most independent, strong-willed, outspoken person I knew.
She taught me a lot through the years and I was blessed to be her granddaughter. That same week our dear friends lost their precious little girl, Lillie, who had been diagnosed less than a year ago with Neuroblastoma cancer. She put up a grand fight and we all prayed that this would be taken from her. Her family was a true inspiration to me with their strength, courage, and most of all their faith. We all miss Lillie dearly and Landon is excited that one day when he goes to Heaven that he will be able to run and play with Lillie. We love you Lillie Boyte!!

Lastly, we are getting ever closer to the arrival of baby #3. Still no name chosen but we have several in the running. Landon and Ella often comment on the size of my belly with an overall expression of "BIG". I am looking forward to some cooler weather towards the end of the week as I think this is the hottest summer I can remember. I am starting to get tired in the afternoons as it is harder to sleep soundly at night. I am sure all of you mothers out there know what I am talking about, the many times you awake to go potty, the waking up to baby's jumping around, the uncomfortableness of having a watermelon attached to your tummy. It is all very much worth it but I could use some extra nap time during most days.

I hope you have all had a great end to your summer!

1 comment:

The Turmanators said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother, Brooke. I lost my mother's mother year before last and I am afraid Makey will not be here much longer either. It's hard to reconcile these strong, capable women with withered bodies and minds, isn't it? And how I feel for your friends. I haven't really been able to visit that website; it sends me into an emotional tailspin. I cannot fathom how they are coping and you are so great to support them.

On a more positive note, you must be getting so excited for "Baby ??" I remember so well those days of sheer exhaustion. I'm just too old to do that again! Hang in there.

By the way, have you heard about Clare's news?