Saturday, February 01, 2014

Adjusting

Hello everyone!

It's early Saturday morning and it's the first time I have been awake for more than an hour since 2:00 am on Friday morning.   What I thought was a cold is actually the flu.   Compounded with being up for 34 straight hours and the air travel my body was/is struggling to recover.   

Mike and I were so very thankful for how well Emmy traveled.  Our 14.5 hour flight was completely full but someone was willing to switch a seat so that we had two seats together and one across the aisle. They allowed Emmy to sit in my lap for takeoff and landing so the only tears were when she woke up during a short nap on the plane.  That plane ride was so extremely long!

By the time we finally made it to Charlotte, I was in tears.  The joy of seeing the familiar faces and surroundings.  I had been very homesick and was ready to come home the day after our "Gotcha day".  We knew that Emmy may be very shy upon entering our home and since she had been sound asleep up to that point she was not sure what to think.   Oh the hugs we had missed so much.   It makes me cry just thinking about it.   There were signs, balloons, roses, banners, and so much more!   Ella was so excited to see her sister that she ran outside in her pajamas.  She told me several times that Emmy seemed so small.  She had seen her on FaceTime but she said she was smaller than she thought.   Within an hour Emmy was playing ipad beside Ella.  We figured it was time for everyone to go to bed since it was 2:00 AM.  Emmy went to bed in her crib without fussing.   She woke around 6 or so but mike was able to rub her back and get her to sleep and she stayed asleep until 1:00 pm.  The long day of travel was hard on her as well.  

I missed most of her first day home as I was in bed unable to get up.  However, I could often hear the sweet sounds of laughter from the den and when I was able to venture out for something to drink it was precious to see Ella and Emmy playing together. My mom stayed and since I am sick it has been an amazing blessing to me for her to be here.   She has to be exhausted!!

 Poor little Eli is sick as well and has a fever and congestion so he isn't really playful or energetic.  I am vastly disappointed to be sick and feel like I am missing so much but am also thankful that I am at home and not sick while away from home.   

Emmy's second night was not quite as restful.  She went to bed without fussing but woke up screaming around 1:00 AM.  She wasn't about to go back to sleep so she stayed up playing until about 6:00 am.  She is now back to sleep and will hopefully sleep peacefully for several hours.  We know her little body clock is completely flipped so it will take a while for her to adjust.   

We certainly appreciated all of the prayers during our travel.   I was completely stressed out over it and even though I told myself that God had it all I tried to take on all of it myself!  This pattern of trusting and then trying to do it all myself  (not trusting) seems to be a big struggle for me.   What I see now is that when God called us to adopt and I worked on paperwork for so long and was able to see items get checked off I felt a pride that I was doing what I was supposed to do.  I was listening and obeying. Now I see that if this is His calling that He will see it through, whether I am sick and in bed for days or if I am up and dancing around.  It is all Him, His work, His way, and to His glory.   

No comments: