Monday, July 03, 2023

April 28, 2018

Safely in Japan, Tokyo to be exact.   We arrived yesterday and navigated the airport and train system to get to Tokyo station.  From Tokyo station we found our way to our hotel.  Our rooms are very nice and I was excited to put our baggage down and take a few moments to lay down.  The flight was great, however lots of sitting any my body clock was not in agreement with my activity level.  After settling in we headed it and ventured through a few streets looking at menus and traversing down the sidewalks with all of the Japanese dressed neatly in their suits and ties. Rush hour was quite different with very few cars overflowing the streets.  I didn’t hear horns or motorcycles zooming by.  Instead I was trying to stay out of the way of so many on the sidewalks walking purposefully to their destination.  We eventually settled on a place that seemed like quite the local spot.  They were making a food we recognized as balls of dough with pieces of octopus in them.  The standing tables were filled with young executives out with friends sharing plates of food and fun beverages.  We crowded into the only space available. A little counter in the back corner.   The kind people behind us saw us perusing the menu and suggested the food we had seen.  We also selected the gyoza and yakisoba.  They were quick with delivery and we all shared the plates.  Afterwards we headed back for some much needed sleep.

This morning we are embarking on a train ride to visit my grandmother, whom I have known of my whole life but never had the opportunity to meet. I am excited for the day ahead, slightly anxious, slightly nervous, slightly a lot of different things.

Here are some pics from yesterday.

No comments: